Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Getting Around Difficult Names in City Directories at Footnote.com

I'm looking for the last name of Frame in Chicago city directories on Footnote.com. While I like the site, I'm no real fan of how to search on Footnote. The problem with "frame" is that results come back that aren't a last name--framemakers, etc. Navigating through the images to get to the right section takes forever sometimes as well.

My workaround is to search for names that are very near to Frame in the alphabet, but that don't have the search problems Frame does. Searching for Fraley or Fralich gets me really close to where the last name of Frame would be in the directory, but those names don't have the problem that Frame does.

Not the best approach, but at least it allows me to jump a little more quickly to the right section of the directory.

1 comment: